Thursday, August 23, 2012

You Voted, I Brew

The poles are closed and all the votes have been tabulated.  The voting really came down to the wire.  It was a dog fight between the Saison and the Pumpkin ale but in the last few days of voting the Pumpkin ale pulled ahead and took home the checkered flag.

It was really fun watching and trying to formulate recipes for what ever was in the lead at the time.  I will defiantly let everyone vote on what I brew again in the future.  I hope others enjoyed it as well. I spent an hour or so formulating my recipe yesterday.  I wanted to do something a little different than your run of the mill Pumpkin ale, and with my somewhat unhealthy love affair with dark beers,  my Pumpkin Porter recipe was born.  Here is my first draft so there might be some minor changes down the road, stay tuned...

Pumpkin Porter 

Grain Bill
7.0lb Light Liquid extract
0.5lb Crystal Malt -60L
0.75lb Chocolate Malt
0.15lb Black Patent Malt
0.5lb Smoked Malt
60 oz Canned Pumpkin



Hop Schedule
1.00 oz Cascade (45 min)
1.00 oz Glacier (10 min)
1.00 oz Liberty (5 min)

Yeast
White Labs WLP023 Burton Ale

Additions
1 tsp Pumpkin Pie spice (secondary)

Expected Stats
OG 1.056
FG 1.016
ABV 5.37%
IBU 26.53
SRM 32.9

The Plan
I plan to Roast the Pumpkin on a baking sheet in the oven for 45-60 minutes at 350 degrees and add to the beginning of the boil.  I will be creating a spice tea of sorts with the Pumpkin pie spice with a cup of boiling water and the spices.  This will be allowed to cool and then added to the secondary for at least 2 weeks.

The Schedule
I have good amount of beer in the pipeline at the moment and I am not sure I can get approval from the wife for another for a couple of weeks.  Right now the plan is to get this one going in the early part of September...  As always I will keep you updated.

As this is my first Pumpkin Ale I am very open to comments and suggestions on my recipe so please comment on this post if you have any advise

No comments:

Post a Comment