here. There were a couple of modifications, most notably I used 58oz of pumpkin as it came in 29oz cans. I figured that this was close enough to the 60oz that I called for in the original recipe. Also I was able to get some great local and organic cascade hops that I wanted to use so I substituted them in. Here is how my bred day went.
Pumpkin Porter Brew Day
After the pumpkin was done I brought 2.5 gallons of water to 150 and began to steep my grains. Thirty minutes later I had some nice dark and roasty wort that smelled fantastic. I cranked up the heat and added my 7lbs of light malt extract slowly while stirring. Next came the pumpkin. This was my first time using pumpkin an I have to say it took a bit of work to get it to incorporate well. It tended to stay all globed up. The best method I found was to mush the globs with the back of the spoon on the side of the pot to break them up.
The wort was chilled and transferred to the fermenter where the additional 2.5 gallons of water were waiting. After a quick stir I pulled a sample for a gravity reading and taste. The gravity reading came out a little higher than expected at 1.059 vs the expected value of 1.056. I was expecting this as ibrewmaster did not adjust the gravity to account for the additional sugars in the pumpkin. The wort tasted pretty darn good, obviously very sweet, but with a nice pumpkin and spice flavor. I have good hopes that this will turn out pretty well and my become my annual fall beer. I will update more on the as it progresses and let you know how it turns out.