Tuesday, February 9, 2021

New System (Theory)


 Getting back into brewing the main thing I wanted to do is make good quality and more importantly repeatable beer.  My process before was ok and I made good beer (even won a few metals) but it was never repeatable.  I could brew the same recipe multiple times and it was never exactly the same and sometimes wildly different.  

My issue with my old process was control.  I was able to control some things and not others just too many variables on brew day to reliably make the same beer twice.  So having a bit of extra cash laying around I wanted to solve that problem this time around.  I decided on an all electric system based around SS BrewTech equipment.   I went back and forth on numerous systems and manufactures but eventually settled on SS BrewTech mainly because I really liked their mash tun (insulated with a bottom drain).

So once I settled on the what manufacture I was going to get the system from I started on the design.  Here I made a slight departure from the traditional three vessel approach.  I decide on a two vessel no sparge design for a couple reasons mainly space and simplicity.  I fully realize I will take a hit on my efficiency but efficiency is not my real goal here.  As long as I get reasonable efficiency (around 70%) and more importantly it is repeatable I'm happy

So here is the general flow of the design

    1. Cold water into the boil kettle, heat to strike temp

    2. Transfer to mash tun and dough in

    3. Recirculate during mash through RIMS to maintain and control temp

    4. Transfer (full volume mash) back to boil kettle 

    5. After boil Whirlpool through chiller

    6 Transfer chilled wort to fermenter

here are the illustrations of the steps







  

No comments:

Post a Comment